July 2, 2011

The Zoo, Margarita Cupcakes, and Cheese Bowls!!!

I realized I haven’t done very many cooking entries in this blog yet.  I love to bake.  I love to cook.  I pretty much love being in the kitchen… as long as I don’t have to do the dishes afterwards.  Maybe this blog will give me an excuse to do more baking…

My friend Lauren is in town for the weekend.  We got up nice and early to go to the Green City Market.  Fantastic time with great food and fresh fruits and veggies!  We fell in love with apple cider donut holes, which I have a recipe for but haven’t made myself yet.  Afterwards, we walked over to the zoo to check out the animals.  Some were eating and some were just lounging around. 




Tonight we made a big dinner.  I started off baking Margarita cupcakes. 


 This is Lauren, helping me with the limes.


 Here is how I juice fruits without a juicer… Stick it in a bag, crush it, and cut a hole in it so the juice can pour out, but the seeds and rind stay in.


 Yum, baking.

 
As those were baking, I attempted to make parmesan bowls to go with dinner.  I had seen it on Anthony Bourdain when he was in Rome, but they didn’t show how to make it.  I tried to put it on wax paper, as you can see, and that was a huge fail.  It just stuck and didn’t work.  I ended up putting it on aluminum foil and greasing it like crazy.  This worked, and I put them over the bottom of a bowl to get the shape.  More on that later. 


Somebody really likes cheese... 



Here are the cupcakes right out of the oven.  They are pretty much cupcakes with some lime flavoring and tequila spread on top after coming out of the oven. 


Zoey really wanted some of the butter.


And the frosted cupcakes!



The end product of the bowl didn’t hold its shape too well.  It looked like we had one bowl and one cheese doily. 


My fiancĂ© made cacio e pepe for dinner, another Bourdain dish from that same episode in Rome.  It’s a great pasta dish that is really simple.  Pretty much just pasta, pecorino cheese and black pepper. 



And Zoey again staring at us while we ate.

No comments:

Post a Comment