July 3, 2011

A Foodie Third of July...

Today… we ate well….

We started our day making waffles.  I didn’t take any photos of that, but we made some plain waffles for three of us and Alex, the fiancĂ©,  had some raspberries in his.  He refused to let anyone else even try it. 

We went to Taste of Chicago in the afternoon.  Had some pulled pork sandwich, samosa, bacon wrapped pork, and churritos. 






Oh, Lauren had a chocolate covered banana too.


On the way home we stopped and got some gelato.  Yum.


Once we got home, I started making rhubarb crisp.  I’ve never made it before, but Alex loves it so he bought some rhubarb at the Green City Market yesterday. 



The recipe called for brown sugar, and I’ve started making my own as of a few weeks ago.  It’s really easy and it doesn’t have as much of a chance to harden.  Don’t you hate when you grab the brown sugar and it’s a hard block?  All you have to do is take one cup of sugar and add one tablespoon of molasses.  Mix well.




Our end product looks really good.  We’re taking it over to a friends place tonight so I’ll have to tell you later what I think of it.


For dinner we made pizzas.  The recipe calls them basil and garlic pizza, but I’d call them roasted red pepper pizzas.  I made the dough from scratch and set it aside to rise.  Oh, as you can see I’m using our saucepans since I’ve run out of bowls… we only have one mixing bowl.  I can’t wait to get some stuff off of our registry.  I’ll have more mixing bowls! 





I shrieked when I saw how much it had risen since it was coming out of the bowl it was in.  It reminded me of the I Love Lucy episode where the homemade bread starts to come out of the oven and pins Lucy against the cupboards.  


 Yum… cheese.  My friend, Tyler, was looking at my like I was crazy because we had a saucepan of cheese… again, no clean mixing bowls.



After the pizzas cooked, we scarfed them down.  In less than 10 minutes, we got the fire alarm to turn off, put the next batch of pizzas in, served and ate all of the pizza… before the next batch was even done cooking.  We were hungry… and it was good.



And of course here is the kitchen after today’s cooking.


But the sky looks lovely tonight.  And as I'm writing this it looks like Evanston, maybe, is shooting off fireworks now. 


What's everyone planning for 4th of July tomorrow?

No comments:

Post a Comment