November 15, 2011

Apple Pie!

Apple pie is one of my favorite things to make.  They are so easy and fast, and can look amazing without too much work!

Alex and I tried to go apple picking earlier this year and it was a fail... the place we went to had run out of apples the day before and we didn't know that until we had driven over an hour to get there.  So on our way home we picked up about a dozen apples from a roadside stand so I could at least make some pie.


I ended up making three pies, one that we ate, one went to work with Alex, and the third got frozen for Thanksgiving.


I had a bunch of whole wheat flour around the apartment (it's what I use for Zoey's treats), so I used that for the pie crusts.

Whole Wheat Pie Crusts

1 1/2 c. whole wheat flour
1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 c. vegetable shortening 
6 tbsp. water


Mix everything together!  Double for top and bottom crust.

For the pie I cut the apples into strips, added sugar, cinnamon, a dash of nutmeg, and a little flour.


And I ended up with lots of scraps... 


Here were my end products!



No comments:

Post a Comment