December 17, 2011

Gift Giving- Toffee

I'm giving out food gifts for a lot of people this year in addition to my other handmade gifts.  The original recipe I used can be found here

Almond Toffee

1 cup butter
1 cup sugar
1 cup whole blanched almonds
1/2 cup wonderful, dark chocolate - the best you can find (or milk chocolate if you must), chopped
1/4 cup chopped, toasted pecans (optional)

Melt butter in heavy sauce pan. Add sugar and almonds. Cook on high with pan tilted, stirring constantly, with wooden spoon until light brown (for those of us with candy thermometers, that would be the crack to hard crack stage or about 300F). Pour into large flat pan. Allow to sit for 5 minutes and then cover with grated chocolate and allow to melt - smooth with a knife. Add chopped pecans, if desired, and press in with the back of a wooden spoon. Cool completely in the fridge and break into pieces.

I ended up making a batch and a half.  I used a good sized pan to cook it in, but it still ended up pretty thick.  If I were to make this recipe again, I would make sure to use a really big pan to cool it in.  Maybe a cookie sheet for a recipe and a half like I made.

No comments:

Post a Comment