September 2, 2011

DIY Comforter

I am embarking on my biggest sewing project to date.  And by biggest I mean biggest strictly in sheer size… though I have worked on projects with more fabric.  Maybe it isn’t the biggest project, but it sure seems like it to me.  That just sounds confusing…

I’m making a comforter!  When my fiancé and I were looking for a comforter to register for, we had trouble finding something that wasn’t really boring and looked like it should be in a dorm room or was really fancy and girly with swirls and flowers all over it. 

A couple weeks ago I was in my college town and a friend was telling me how she was making a duvet cover for her bed.  This got me thinking about maybe making our own. 

I based the design on one that I had found on Bed, Bath, and Beyond, but changed the colors a bit and obviously the fabric.  I was tempted to go a fun route and create a TARDIS bed like my friend Meg… but I don’t think my fiancé would like that.  He’s not as cool as Meg’s boyfriend… This one is going to end up Michigan colors.  That should make the fiancé happy. 


I ordered fabric online, so I’m hoping that it all works out in the end.  This always makes me nervous because I can’t see the colors in person to see if they go together or if they are a good weight to use.  I’m crossing my fingers while I wait for them to arrive.  I also ordered batting online to fill it with and I’m hoping that it isn’t too flat.  I love love love big fluffy comforters.  I loved my comforter in college.  I could disappear under it all winter long!  So I’m hoping the one I ordered will be thick too.  It claimed it was twice as thick as normal batting. 

 This will be middle insert section.

 This fabric will be sewn into pleats next to the middle section.  It is suede so it will give some nice texture.

 Here is the side fabric.  It's shantung which is one of my new favorite fabrics.  It is a silky brown with black threads throughout it.

 This is going to be on the underside.  I'm hoping the colors look close enough to the other side fabric.  This way the comforter can be reversible too.

 And lastly, here's the fabric I ordered for the bed skirt.  It's a gold shantung, so it is more silky as opposed to looking like burlap.  It sort of looks like burlap in this photo...

Here is my idea for the bed skirt.  I really like buttons on it.



Has anyone else made a comforter?  Have any advice?  I also have to design some pillows.  Pinterest hasn't been nice to me lately and it keeps telling me it's too busy... I want to look at some pretty pillows!

1 comment:

  1. Your fabric choices are FABULOUS!!! I'm sure it's going to look splendid once it is all together. I hope your back is feeling better, my dear!

    ReplyDelete