September 4, 2011

Chalkboard Globe

I saw a photo of a chalkboard globe on craftgawker.com and fell in love with it.


My only problem was figuring out a way to do it on the cheap.  I didn’t have my old globe lying around the house, but my fiancĂ© did. 


The first step in my process was to score the latitude and longitude lines in the globe.  Most of the lines in this globe were printed on instead of actual indentations.  I cut it with an exacto knife to make the grooves.


I then covered it in a layer of chalkboard paint.  I decided to make my own since I couldn't find chalkboard paint around me.  I put some black paint and non-sanded grout together and stirred well.  It had lumps in it, but I sanded those down after the first coat.  The hardest part was not touching the places I had already painted...


It had to sit for 24 hours to dry.


And it was almost ready to go.  Just needed to be covered in some chalk and….


Once it was covered in chalk there was just one more step... wipe it off and start writing!




No comments:

Post a Comment